If we consider what an architect does, they plan, design, and oversee the construction of buildings. If we replace construction of buildings with the quality of life, it makes perfect sense that we are actually the architect of our lives.
As the architect of our lives, we want to plan, design and take full ownership of the results we produce.
If you’re honest with yourself, how much time have you invested into planning and designing the life you really want?
The sad truth is people spend more time planning for a holiday or vacation than identifying what they really want out of life. This means most people are drifting through life hoping they have a good quality life rather than intentionally creating the life they want.
This can be likened to being a spectator rather than playing the game of life. So how do we become the ultimate architect of our lives?
The first step is we must design a plan that will become our road map for living the life we want. After attending numerous personal development seminars and training programs, I have learned there are some common principles which help to design a plan for our life.
Here are seven principles which must form part of any plan we create for our life so that we have the clarity we need to take the actions we need to in order to live the life we want.
- Determine what gives meaning to your life. We all have so many different hats or roles we play in life such as being a son or daughter, a husband or wife, being a parent or grandparent, or being an employee or boss.One powerful concepts I have learned is recognising we have roles but we are not our roles. How many times do we describe ourselves according to what we do or what we have accomplished? If we are not our roles, then who are we?
Knowing the reason why we are here and what gives meaning or purpose to what we do is one of the most powerful things we can know about ourselves. I believe this is the starting point because if we’re not aligned with our higher purpose, it is really difficult to find joy or meaning in the things we do in life.
- Identify what you really want. It’s almost impossible to get what we want if we don’t know what we want in the first place. As the saying goes, “If you don’t where you are going, any road will get you there.”The more clarity we have, the easier is becomes to identify what we need to do to get what we want. Having clarity of vision, goals, projects and mission are vital ingredients for creating a truly fulfilling life.
- Assess where you are in relation to what you want. This will require us to be totally honest with ourselves and identify the things that have been preventing us from living the life we want. Things such as our self-talk, our beliefs, and things we may be hanging onto from the past may well be stopping us from creating the life we want.Addressing some of these things can be painful, however, it can be very liberating and become a major motivator for us to do the things we must to get the results we want.
- Get committed to living the life you really want. This will require us to acquire new knowledge and skills, plus form new habits and behaviours to get what we want. Chances are if our current way of doing things or behaving is going to help us get to where we want to do, we probably would already have got there by now.Being committed will require us to do things we have not done previously which means we will be uncomfortable at times. However, the rewards will outweigh the discomfort or effort that will be required.
- Choose to be courageous. There will be challenges, obstacles and failures along the way. Each time we “fail,” our commitment will be challenged. This is where it will take courage to continue with what we deem to be important to us in living the life we truly want.Our patience will be tested, therefore we must continue to be persistent, persevere, and take the right actions until we get our desired results. The best part about this is that the more courageous we are, we more confidence we will develop in our ability to handle anything that comes our way.
- Review and solicit feedback regularly. While is good to have a master plan for our lives, the plan will not be as effective if we’re not reviewing whether we’re on track or not. This is where a weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly review is extremely important because if something is not working, we’ll be able to respond quicker.Similarly, asking for feedback will help us make any adjustments we need to, plus reinforce what we should continue doing.
- Maintain a healthy attitude. This includes having a positive mindset by being grateful and appreciative of all the things that are going well in our lives. By exhibiting a healthy attitude, we will attract the right resources, support and ideas to create what we want.With a healthy attitude, the actual process to get from where we are to where we want to be becomes a lot more enjoyable because we know that it is not about the destination, it’s about the journey.
One of the most important things we can do is to live our life by design, not by default. These ideas can become the guiding principles for us living life on our terms and becoming the ultimate architect of our lives.
Question: Which principle do you believe is the most important one? Why?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.