Have you ever heard the saying, “You have to be in the right place at the right time?”
Maybe you’ve heard, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know that determines what you get in life.”
The sad reality is that most of us buy into these ideas, which forms beliefs for what’s possible for us. What that does is it limits us in so many ways and most times, we aren’t even aware that we’re limiting ourselves.
At one point in my life, I too had the belief that luck and being at the right place at the right time determined whether I would achieve a goal I wanted in life. Some of the costs for having such a belief included:
- Not being willing to have a go at doing new things.
- Not challenging myself to set bigger goals.
- Not having high levels of motivation.
- Feeling stagnant or stuck.
- Thinking others could achieve great results but I couldn’t.
When I started learning from teachers in the personal development industry, they helped reframe some of my beliefs. As I expanded my level of self-awareness, instead of believing I had to be in the right place at the right time, I was able to change it to I had to be aware that I was in the right place at the right time.
That small shift made me realise that opportunities were always around me — I just had to be aware of them. Instead of hoping for luck in life, I chose to create my own luck. And the interestingly, the more I expanded my self-awareness, the luckier I seemed to get.
Opportunities are always around us. The more opportunities we attract and take advantage of, the more progress we’ll make. Here are five ways to attract new opportunities in order to have more options to create the success we want in life.
- Be better informed. Everything starts with our awareness. The more aware we are, the better we’ll be placed to identify, evaluate and take advantage of new opportunities. Being better informed may mean acquiring new knowledge, developing new skills and taking specific action to apply what we are learning.
- Surround yourself with progressive people. Who we surround ourselves with affects our attitude and outlook on life. By choosing to be around inspiring and action-oriented people, it will naturally have a positive impact on our mindset and can be a catalyst for us to explore new opportunities. Expanding our network is a valuable thing we can do in order to be around progressive people.
- Attempt new things. One of the best ways to determine whether an opportunity is good or not is to test it out. For example, if we are presented with an opportunity to earn additional income, we can easily evaluate whether it’s good for us or not by giving ourselves a certain period of time to test it out. The feedback we will receive as we are testing it out is all part of the learning experience, which will give us a better idea whether to continue with it or not.
- Provide more value in the marketplace. A good skill to develop is to become more observant and curious. The marketplace is always giving us feedback as to what people need in order to improve their lives in some way. When we start asking more questions, identifying problems and tapping into people’s aspirations, it will open up new ways we can add more value to people’s lives.
- Tap into your inner guidance. Oftentimes, rather than looking for opportunities externally, we can go within to find the answers we are looking for. What we feed our minds will determine the quality of our thoughts, which in turn, will dictate what actions we take. It’s important to know that our inner wisdom knows the answers we are looking for and it’s always guiding us in the right direction.
We don’t always have to wait for a big break in order to attract new opportunities. If we’re willing to look, opportunities are always around us. We just have to get better at spotting the right opportunities, then being willing to act on them.
Question: What is another way we can attract new opportunities into our lives?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.