One of the best ways to boost brand awareness is to have a strong online presence. Having a website with relevant content is a great starting point. However that is not enough. With so many websites competing for attention, we need to be doing things differently in order to get more people to take notice of our websites.
Here are five strategies for promoting websites that can result in driving more traffic to our websites, which in turn, will result in more people knowing about who we are and what we do.
- Start blogging. With so many blogging platforms available today such as WordPress, Tumbler, Typepad and Blogger, it is easier than ever to start blogging. However, consistency is the key.
In the past, I have made the mistake of creating a blog but failed to post content regularly. Therefore, I didn’t reap the benefits of having a blog, which also resulted in my blog not getting noticed. Now, I am much better at publishing new content and have seen the traffic to my site more than double over the past six months.
Another benefit of having a blog is that they are search engine friendly and they increase the chances of your content being found via online searches. Blogging is a great way to establish credibility and be known as an expert or authority.
- Do Search Engine Optimization (SEO). The term SEO may sound daunting but it simply means making your website as friendly as possible to search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing. With so many websites now using blogging platforms, there are many tools available such as plugins that make the process easier. Put simply, SEO is the process of increasing a website’s visibility in search results.
Here are two simple ways to make a website SEO friendly:
- Edit the content and make it easy to index on search engines by adding relevant keywords to the content.
- Increase the number of back-links or inbound links (links your website receives from other webpages — which indicates the popularity or importance of your website).
- Promote via social media platforms. The popularity of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+ has made it easier than ever to promote websites. The biggest and most popular platform is Facebook, and of the best ways to get immediate traffic to your website is by advertising on Facebook.
Millions of people use Facebook every day and one of the benefits of Facebook ads is that you can target people from a specific location, friends of your current fans, or even people who “like” other pages, among other options such as age and interests. Added to this, Facebook ads are a cost-effective way of driving more traffic to your website.
- Promote via email. Having an email list is critical when it comes to promoting a website. Email marketing is still one of the best ways to engage potential and current customers. This can be done via a regular email newsletter or even get people to subscribe to your posts if you are using a blog as your website. By utilizing the different analytics tools available now, you can determine what your audience likes or dislikes about the content you are putting out.
- Write guest posts and participate in forums. Leveraging audiences already gathered is a powerful way to promote who you are and what you do via your website. Writing guest posts for people who already have an online presence and a large audience is an easy way to get people back to your website. The more value you provide via your guest posts, the greater the probability of getting more visitors back to your website.
With forums, engaging in conversations and adding value is the starting. Rather than promoting your website straight away, also known as spamming, a more intelligent approach is to build trust and credibility first by sharing resources, offering your expert advise and providing solutions. Over time, those participating in forums will trust you more and are more likely to reciprocate your generosity.
Promoting websites doesn’t need to be an expensive or time-consuming process. However it does require a certain amount of discipline and a long-term commitment. While the rewards may not come straight away, consistently applying these strategies will reap rewards over time.
Question: What are your favourite strategies for promoting websites?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.