We’re a week into the New Year! How are you tracking with your goals?
You probably realise that it takes a lot more to actually achieve goals than to just write them down only. If we want to give ourselves the best chance of achieving our goals, then we will need to possess certain qualities that will make achieving our goals inevitable.
The good news is that becoming a better goal achiever is not a big secret nor does it require a lot of effort. Becoming a better goal achiever will require us to develop new habits, behaviours and qualities that will support us especially when things get difficult. All it takes is to make some simple adjustments to how we do things and keep doing them consistently.
Some of the adjustments I’ve made over the years, which have helped me become a better goal achiever, include:
- Writing down my goals rather than just thinking about them.
- Selecting goals in different areas rather than just focusing on career or professional goals.
- Asking for help when progress has been slow.
- Reviewing my goals regularly (weekly).
While there are many qualities we can develop in order to be more successful, here are five qualities we must possess that are more relevant for achieving goals. The most important thing to remember is that it is the consistency with which we integrate these qualities that will dictate the improvement we make with respect to achieving our goals.
- Be brutally honest with yourself. There will be times when things won’t go as planned. It can be easy to look outside of ourselves and justify why we are not doing as well as we’d like. This is when we’ll have to be honest and find out what is really going on. It could well be that some of our beliefs are playing out as excuses for lack of progress. One way to stay on track is to conduct a weekly review of all our goals. That will help identify which areas we need to focus and where we could use some help so that we continue to move forward.
- Stay persistent especially during tough times. Perseverance or persistence is a vital quality to have if we want to be a consistent goal achiever. There will be obstacles, challenges, disappointments and failures while in the process of achieving our goals. Based on our weekly review, if we know an approach is not working, we must try a new approach. Staying persistent also means we have to be patient as well and be open to new ideas.
- Get creative. One of the wonderful things about setting goals is that it will require us to get creative and come up with strategies and tactics that will lead to the achievement of our goals. As an example, being creative may mean we have to reverse engineer your goals. In other words, we can use one of our creative faculties and imagine what it will be like to achieve our goals. Then we can work backwards and identify all the steps we would have needed to take in order to achieve our goals. This process of imagining having achieved our goals and looking back is an effective way to get creative.
- Trust your intuition. We all have an intuitive ability which can be developed through use. The more we use it, the stronger it will get, and the more likely we will trust it. It has been said that our intuition is never wrong which means that it will always guide us to make the right decisions and take the right actions.
- Maintain a healthy attitude. Not everyone we interact with will have a positive attitude. The truth is negativity is all around us and is very easy to get drawn into. In order to stay on track towards our goals, we have to be willing to exclude ourselves from negativity and those who are not supportive of our goals. This can sometimes be challenging especially if those closest to us are the ones that are not supportive and negative. We have to take responsibility and be willing to step away from the negativity in order to move towards our goals.
Qualities are developed through experiences and consistent use. The key is to be aware of the situations we find ourselves in and take the appropriate actions. It will take some initial focus but the payoff will be well worth the effort.
Question: What quality do you think you possess that will make you a better goal achiever?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.